Academic Affairs

The majority of questions regarding academic affairs can be answered by visiting the GSAS website and the Registrar's help website. Please consult these resources before contacting OHMA with questions. We will be happy to help you with any further questions or issues. More information on degree requirements, registration and academic resources can be found through the following links in "Resources for Current Students":

Degree Requirements:  For more information on courses, degree requirements, a sample schedule and cost requirements

Registration: For more information on registration times, finding courses, registration procedures, cross-registration, registration holds and immunizations,withdrawal and leaves of absence, and grading options & procedures.

Academic Resources: For information on library services, database & journal access, using the writing center, and oral history conferences & associations 



There are three graduation dates throughout the year (February, May, and October). Graduation ceremonies take place once a year in May. Any student who has graduated during that academic year (October through May) is eligible to participate. OHMA will determine eligibility for graduation after the student has completed all coursework and submitted an application for degree. The Graduate School will contact you with information about tickets, and more information will be available on the GSAS website in the spring.


There are multiple ways to go about locating housing for your stay with us here at OHMA, including options both through and apart from the university.

University Apartment Housing (UAH): 

The UAH inventory consists of apartment shares and dormitory-style rooms. Most students housing is located within walking distance of the campus in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. Students are also housed in Manhattan Valley, just south of Morningside Heights, and in Washington Heights. Additionally, students are housed in Riverdale, Bronx, in a new facility known as The Arbor.

Eligibility for UAH

All full-time GSAS students may apply for housing in UAH managed buildings. However, UAH housing is not guaranteed, and PhD students and undergraduates receive first priority. 

Applying for UAH

The application for housing can be found here along with more information about the application process.

Apply to be a GHD

Each year, Residential Life selects a motivated and engaged team of Graduate Hall Directors (GHDs) that work with our student staff and student leaders to maintain a supportive and inclusive environment within our residence halls. More information can be found here.

Off Campus University Housing (OCHA)  

Columbia's Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office assists Columbia students and affiliates in their search for rental housing in non-Columbia-owned buildings located in the metropolitan area. OCHA manages a database of available rooms and apartments known as the Housing Registry and provides information on the rental real estate market in New York City. We encourage OHMA students to consider the possibility of rooming together. In addition, OCHA offers one-on-one housing search counseling and is supported in these efforts by our cooperative relationships with two New York City real estate/relocation agencies. Please visit their website for more information. 

International House

Another good option to consider is the International House, a graduate student and visiting professional community immediately north of Columbia's Morningside campus. It is a three-minute walk from our main offices on 122nd Street and provides a beautiful view of the Hudson River. I-House offers single dormitory rooms and apartments, as well as amenities such as a dining hall, gym, guest speakers, cross-cultural exchanges, leadership opportunities, and collaborations with residents from around the world.

A number of our students have lived in this space over the past few years with much enjoyment and enrichment. You can also apply to I-House as a non-resident member, which provides you access to most of the events and facilities. The cost is $75 per semester.

Office of Disability Services (ODS)

For students whose disabilities substantially limit their ability to live in Columbia's traditional housing units, accommodations are provided. In addition to complete a housing application, students must follow the University's Disability Housing Accommodations Procedures & Guidelines and submit the required form for consideration of their requests. Students must otherwise be eligible for University housing in order to be eligible for disability housing accommodations.

Much more extensive information on student housing can be found on facilities housing website. Additionally, the GSAS housing liaison will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please contact Craig Knobles at (212) 854-2889 (email: